The Wells Village Library is now housed in the former Universalist Church, built in 1855, by the congregation. The original and first library of Wells- Lochlea Library- was assembled in a room over the garage of Mrs. Annie R. Huyck who started the collection. She contributed her own books and opened the room to the public several days a week. Mrs. Huyck purchased the Universalist Church building on the village green for the purpose of moving the library. She funded the extensive remodeling so that the building could now function as a fine little library. On October 12, 1944, in an impressive ceremony, Mrs. Huyck turned the deed to the building over to the Selectman of the town. Mrs. Huyck remains today as a beloved benefactress of the town. The Wells Village Library serves as a memorial to her. There is a section of the library devoted to books from Mrs. Huyck's original library collection from the Lochlea Library; books from the 1940's and 1950's also remain in the collection. In addition to the history provided in those books, the display case exhibits other books, photographs, and documents about the history of the village and the library.